Thursday, October 09, 2008
Yeah, you heard it right. Here is the live tracking of trains in India using google maps API. Enter the start date of the train and the train number, and current postition of the train will be tracked. Once the site is loaded, the position of the train is refreshed every minute.
The site is still in BETA though. Only trains which are currently running will be displayed properly. There are still some bugs which need to be fixed.
If you are accessing using WAP/GPRS on your mobile, use this mobile friendly link
at 11:48 PM
There are quite a few websites which lets you track live if you have a GPS phone. I was curious if the "My location" feature in Google maps can be used to track the phone using only the mobile tower number information. WithoutGPS was born out of this curiosity.This was set up using code from various sources.
What is WithoutGPS?
You run an application on your smart phone, which updates your current tower information on the website which hosts the code, and you can get your position shown on google maps to anybody who has got an internet connection.
You can check my current location live at
If I am moving, the map will automatically move showing the updated position. (This site does not show properly in Chrome browser. Use IE or firefox)
How to setup WithoutGPS?
1. Right now only Nokia Symbian smartphones are supported(All S60 v2 and v3). Use the Aspicore GSM Tracker in your phone with the following settings:
HTTP protocol : On
Internet page URL : http://uselessdiaries.freehostia.com/gmaps.php?user=username
(choose a unique username which nobody else could be using)
Send cell every time : On
Cell -> On startup tracking : On
2. This is your live tracking website : http://uselessdiaries.freehostia.com/live.pl?user=username
What else can I do with WithoutGPS?
1. If you want to host this in your own site, you can download all the server side code from http://uselessdiaries.freehostia.com/uploads/WithoutGPS.zip . Be sure to use your own Maps API key in the live.html file.
2. You can use this as a vehicle theft prevention system, by putting a sybian phone with GPRS connection always in your car. It can be setup at a hardware cost of around Rs 7500 (cost of a N72) and monthly charges of Rs 200/- (minmum voice plan + WAP over GPRS)
3. I have been running Aspicore GSM tracker on my N80 (s60v3) phone, and Airtel's mobile office plan, and it has been running without a hitch. Can anyone try out if this application works with Airtel Wap over PRS(which I think is called Airtel Online)
How exactly does WithoutGPS work?
1. The application on your phone sends the cell number of the mobile tower which you are connected to.
2. The gmaps.php script queries the google database with the cell tower information, and gets the longitude and latitude, which is recorded into a file.
3. When you click on the live.pl file, it uses the recorded information and shows it on google maps.
Future of WithoutGPS?
1. Efforts are on way so that you can specify zones - like home, office etc. And when you enter some specified zone, it will send an email (or an SMS) to some specified number.
2. Do you know of other applications which will allow http access over WAP/GPRS of the cell tower information in other phones do let me know.
3. I am not into mobile software writing, so if some one can write simple applications for uploading cell tower information, let me know, and I will post it here.
4. Your comments/suggestions/contributions/ideas/brickbats are always welcome.
at 11:22 AM